1) It's certainly clear that economy class on flights is gradually getting worse - with less seating space, less catering and lower standards of staff
2) The frequent flyer schemes are getting tighter and with less benefits -hey @British_Airways just how many economy class (delayed / often late) flights in Europe do I have to make in a year to get anything above 'blue' frequent flyer status???
3) The standards of business lounges - even within the same airline - vary so much it's ridiculous. Take for example @British_Airways business lounges at LHR T5, Chavwick & Tampa.
- Heathrow T5 - full drinks selection, hot & cold meals, bacon butties, internet access, plenty of space
- Tampa - there are drinks and sandwiches, and somewhere quiet to sit with power for laptops
- Chavwick - there were cold snacks, cold drinks, an internet cafe and a dozen different alcoholic spirits (clearly a place where sadly alcohol is in more demand than bacon butties)
5) Heathrow T5 has slowly improved with a lot of it's initial wrinkles now ironed out. But whilst the process & systems are getting a bit better there are still some material issues :-
- IRIS reliability - appears to be broken more often than working, perhaps a 3rd machine would help?
- Staff quality, engagement and care is still greatly missing
- The other Heathrow terminals don't seem to have improved at all (other than counting destroying parts of them as a well needed improvement)
- It continues to amaze me that BA staff buses operate at about 3 times the frequency of the buses for the business parking area
7) Just how much easier flying was when only one bag was allowed on-board the plane, with no roll-on cases etc - really should make the rule one small item of hand-luggage and be done with it...
8) How very few hotels understand the need to provide :-
- Mains power points near the bedside table - to charge phones that are also used as alarm clocks
- Mains power points near to desk / table in the room - to charge laptops whilst they're used
- A clock in the bathroom
- A clock built into the TV (yes I'm always running late)
- A free bottle of water - water should not be a profit source!
- WiFi connectivity that's either free or reasonably priced (ie $2 a day)
- If we're on a wish list, a few USB charge points would be good as well!
- It is rather surprising to see such small & poor selections of music given how little storage & bandwidth it consumes
- Given such a controlled environment and simple IT setup & requirements, I'm staggered as to how often the system fails and/or needs to be rebooted
- Chanel Allure Homme a male aftershave with packaging designed for business travellers
- Dual USB worldwide travel adapter great for charging phones & devices without using laptop
- SlimPlug goes some way to reduce the bulk of the UK mains plug
- Battery powered phone & USB charger to charge the things you need when you're away from mains power
- Shure SE210 earphones for blocking out the rest of the world
- LiveScribe pen for taking all the notes and thoughts that spring to mind when you can't use a laptop or blackberry
- Micro umbrella